Considered a new superfood, chia seeds have actually been around for many years. They were used by the ancient Tarahumara people in Central America when they ran great distances. The runners were said to have eaten only chia seeds for the duration of their marathon-like runs.
If you need reasons other than improving your energy and endurance for physical endeavors, here are a few more reasons to look into chia seeds as the newest component of your diet.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids. Considered an essential fat, we need this in our diet. Humans are unable to manufacture Omega-3 fatty acids, so we must get them through the food we eat to assist both our brain and nerve function. A single tablespoon of chia seeds supplies 100% of your Omega-3 fatty acid needs.
2. Protein. An excellent source of vegan protein, chia seeds are approximately 20% protein. Protein is required to keep our energy levels up and contributes to the formation of muscle tissue.
3. Manage Blood Sugar. Chia seeds will swell up to sixteen times their size when combined with water, producing a thick gel in the stomach and intestines. This promotes satiety and prevents us from feeling hungry for sugary treats. The fiber in the chia seeds also slows the conversion of carbohydrates to simpler sugars stabilizing blood sugar.
4. Relaxation. Chia seeds have high amounts of magnesium that allow our bodies to better manage stress. Chronic stress causes our bodies to use magnesium, and many people are found to have lower than normal levels of magnesium in their blood.
5. Antioxidants. They battle free radicals to help us to battle all kinds of disease. Chia seeds have more antioxidants than blueberries. They are considered to have one of the highest known levels of any edible food.
They might seem a strange food to add to your diet, but they fit into every diet regardless if you’re gluten-free, vegetarian, vega.n, dairy-free, or just a general foodie. Mix them in with your morning protein shake. Sprinkle into oatmeal or as a salad topping. They aver virtually tasteless, so you won’t notice any flavor changes. Imagine the incredible benefits you will get from a tablespoon of these new superfood seeds.